Pound for Pound Challenge

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Walking With a Pedometer

I've used pedometers over the last couple of years. I have one that that I got from our county insurance office. It looks like a clock except, of course, it goes from 1 - 10 instead of 1 - 12. Arrows point to the number of steps you take.

I bought another one that has a digital read. A little easier to figure out the steps. Instead of figuring out which arrow points to the thousand, hundred, tens, and from 1-10, it gives you the numbers. You can easily see you walked 2583 steps. However, you have to figure out how many miles that is, if you want to know miles. Same problem with the clock face.

And I found that unless you are very careful with it, you could easily reset the pedometer to zero. Not a real problem if you looked at the numbers before you reset them; a real problem if you don't have a clue how many steps you took over the last ten hours.

The one I just bought is digital and has settings for steps, miles, time, and calories burned. It knows the difference between when you stood up and when you actually walked across the room. I guess most pedometers, or at least some, will count up and down motions as steps taken.

When I read that, I didn't really care because I figure any movement is better than sitting still. The very act of standing is causing your muscles to move. And movement is what we are looking for. It's when we don't move that we run into trouble with our weight issues.

This pedometer, from VoiceZone, besides having a digital readout, has a digitalized voice that will tell you verbally how many steps, miles, calories burned, and how many hours you it took you to walk those steps or miles, and burn those calories. You can set it to tell you when you've walked so many steps, when you've walked a mile, or when you've burned so many calories. Or you can set it to keep quiet.

When you get it, you enter your weight and you have to measure your stride and enter it, so that the pedometer can figure out the number of steps to a mile. I don't know how it does it. It was made in China, so maybe there's a teeny-tiny little Chinese man inside with an abacus figuring it all out. I haven't been asked to provide any kind of sustenance, so I don't think that's the answer. I just don't know. I really don't care either.

I'm not specifically recommending the VoiceZone pedometer, but I do like it better than the others I've used. It may be better than some, or not as good as others.

I do like it, though.

No comments: