Pound for Pound Challenge

Monday, July 21, 2008

Blood Pressure - What's Good About it?

One of my reasons for losing weight was because I was concerned with my blood pressure inching higher every year. I have my BP taken at weigh in every week and on Thursday, had a discussion with the nurse about my blood pressure.

I remember when I was a kid in school, I learned that the top number should be 100 plus your age. I have learned over the years that the bottom number is of the most concern. When it hits 80, it needs to be addressed and anything over 90 is dangerously high. But since it's been a long time since school, and so many ideas have changed in medicine since I was a kid, I think I'll do a bit of research to see what constitutes a "good" BP.

Last week, J, the nurse was a bit concerned that my BP was 142 over 70. She seemed surprised that I wasn't on BP medication. Personally, I thought that was pretty good. I was okay with it, but thought I'd like to see the 72 come down a bit. I was happy with the 142. My doctor wasn't concerned when he got a similar reading during my physical last year. If it didn't bother him, I definitely wasn't going to worry about it.

The good news is that my BP was 117 over 72 this last week and J was happy. I'd still like to see the 72 come down some, but that's one of the reasons I'm doing this, isn't it?

No comments: