Pound for Pound Challenge

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

To Wii or Not to Wii

I know myself. In order to get the exercise that I need to go along with my dietary changes, I have to be entertained.

You may getting enjoy sweaty. I don't. I don't have room in my house for a treadmill or any other exercise equipment. So I need a gym that offers the equipment. But, I need it to be convenient. So convenient that I'll feel guilty if I don't stop.

I tried Curves. I was going with a girlfriend during lunch to a Curves in Parrish. I don't live in Parrish; I live in Bradenton. In fact, to go to that Curves without my friend, was going over 20 miles out of my way. I honestly didn't mind as long as I had her to go with. Moral support? Or just support? I don't know. I knew it wasn't going to last if she took vacation time and we couldn't go together. I like the Curves circuit training and the music was enough to keep me going. Okay, so I ended up quitting that one.

Did I say it had to be convenient? There are other Curves nearer to where I live, but I would have to drive past my house to go to one. Not convenient for me.

Finally the county opened a fitness center in a building downtown. I literally pass the place every day. Oh, I could "avoid" it by driving a block or two south and then west, but that was just avoiding. So I signed up and even went several times. They offered circuit training that was very similar to that of Curves, plus several other pieces of equipment, such as a trampoline and treadmills. No dressing rooms, though, you had to change in the restroom, and no place to stow your personal stuff while you were working out. I certainly couldn't argue the price: it's free to country employees.

So, it's free and convenient. What's the problem? I need someone to work out with. And I couldn't find anyone who could go at the same times I could. It's not that I need someone to hold my hand; I realize now that it's accountability. If someone, a friend, is there, I'll be there too. I'll do the workout. I just need someone I know to work out with me.

A few months ago, I began hearing about Nintendo's Wii. It had sports games, such as tennis, golf, bowling, and boxing to work out to. You have an avatar that does the motions you are doing using a wand. This began to interest me, but I didn't pursue it.

Then, in May, the Wii Fit came out. It is designed to help people exercise. I found the county weight loss program, and now I'm finding something that will help me exercise while keeping me entertained? Now, this is interesting.

So I began the quest to find the Wii and Wii Fit. You've got to have the Wii console to use the Wii Fit programs. This couldn't be hard, now could it? If the local stores didn't have it, or too expensive in my opinion, I'll get it online at my favorite place to find items at less than retail: eBay.

So I went to eBay and found the Wii console. And quickly realized that I was going to pay anything from $300 and up, depending on what came with the Wii and how much people were willing to pay for it. Forget about refurbished or used, they were just as expensive as new, unused, and MIB (mint in box). I think people just wanted it and would mortgage their homes for a WII.

Incredible! The prices were outrageous, so I went to online stores. I had found that it couldn't be found in the stores for love OR money. I finally found a Wii console, not refurbished, used, or otherwise not considered to be mint. It was new in box. It was just the basic console with the pieces that come with it: the controller, nunchuck, cables, software, and other stuff. And it was $249. Excellent! I'll take it!

Not so fast...it's sold out. Same with every online Big Box store I looke at, and some not so big. I persevered. I asked to be notified when it was available. Finally one store sent me notification they had it. I went to the website, placed the order and got an error message: due to a technical problem, we can't process your order.

ARRRRGH!!! I got this far and can't order it? It's still sold out in the stores, no one else online has it. What to do?

So I went back to eBay and used bidding assistant to place bids. I just wasn't going to pay more than $300 for the basic console. And I didn't. I finally won an auction for $275. With shipping and handling, it was still under $300. Yes, I could have waited it out and maybe gotten it for $249. And maybe not. I still haven't gotten notification from any store that they have it in stock.

I finally got the Wii in my house. I'm still deciding do I want it in the living room or the bedroom? which has more room? Will I want to use it with the bigger TV in the living room or will the smaller TV in the bedroom work for me? I think I'll put it in the bedroom and move it if I decide the bigger TV is necessary.

That's the saga of getting the Wii Console. Stay tuned for the Wii Fit. I didn't even have to throw a fit...Wii or otherwise.

No comments: