Pound for Pound Challenge

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ain't Computers Grand?

I use Sparkpeople to do my food journal, so I rely on having Internet access. A couple of days ago, I didn't.

Turns out, I had purchased a webcam and when I loaded the program for it something went haywire and sent my computer into a tizzy. I couldn't get the computer to do anything. It wasn't recognizing my commands and it was taking forever to load what it did. I'm exaggerating only a little bit. I couldn't even use Task Manager to end programs. I had to manually shut down, which I've been told is not a good thing to do.

So, I did what I usually do. I didn't know whether it was a program I had loaded (I had loaded several that day) or whether it was a hardware problem, or even a virus or something evil of that nature, so I disconnected everything from the computer and left it off overnight. Several times, I've done that and when I reconnected everything, all was good. I talked about it with a friend (who is also doing the weight program) and she gave me the number of a friend of hers who is an IT guy. She told me later that she called him and told him to "do right" by me :D

As it turns out, I didn't need to call him. When I got home, I opened up in "safe mode" and started deleting programs and reset the computer defaults to before the programs were loaded - the last time I knew I didn't have a problem. After I deleted the webcam, everything was back to normal..or close. I still had one program that was apparently corrupted somehow. I deleted that program (a favorite game) and reloaded, but it still wouldn't load. So, I downloaded the game from the website and paid to register. I bought the game twice now (from different vendors, darn it), but it's loaded and I can play!!

I've considered trying to reload the webcam program, but I'm a bit skittish about doing so. Maybe when I'm off next week, I'll give it a try. I'd really like to have the webcam going so I can talk to my niece and nephews. If not this one, then another one. But dang it! I don't want to buy another one! Maybe I can get another CD from the manufacturer if I keep having problems.

In the meantime, I have to hop over to Sparkpeople to enter my food for today.

No comments: