Pound for Pound Challenge

Monday, June 22, 2009

The Easiest Egg Breakfast Ever...


The Egg Mug Classic

PER SERVING (entire mug): 95 calories, 2g fat, 490mg sodium, 3g carbs, 0g fiber, 2g sugars, 14.5g protein -- POINTS® value 2*

Ingredients:
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
One wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese, cut into pieces

Directions:
Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add egg substitute and cheese and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

I've done eggs in a cup for several years. It's great! It's more or less a scrambled egg, as you see in the picture. You can add other ingriedents as you wish, such as bacon bits, onion, mushrooms, etc. Just remember that additional ingredients will change the nutritional data (calories, fat, etc.)

If you're like me and hate to get out of bed early enough to fix a breakfast, this is fast and easy to fix before leaving for work. Or, it's something you can fix at work if you have access to a microwave. I have a couple of lidded containers I bought through Tupperware that I use.



I put the ingredients into the container, go to work, microwave, and voila! A quick, nutritious breakfast that takes minutes to fix and cook. Now I've got to say this: since I couldn't use a cooking spray, the egg will stick to the side of the container I cooked it in. It doesn't hurt the eggs, but, you will take home a container that has egg stuck on it. Can be miserable to clean, but it will come off.

Dieticians and nutritionists say that to lose weight, you must eat breakfast. It's been too long since whatever you last ate the night before to fuel your body for the day. Coffee or tea or a cola drink just isn't enough to get you through the morning. And while good, what you get from a vitamin or supplements might be good for the body, but it still needs the fuel that comes only from food.

Eggs for a while were thought to be a no-no because of cholesterol, fat, and whatever else and suggested a limit of only two eggs a week. Recently, I've read five eggs a week is fine. Use an egg substitute and you should be fine.

As a side note, I switch between eggs and oatmeal for breakfast. I pack instant oatmeal and skim milk in my lunch bag along with cinnamon sugar, walnuts, raisins, cranberries, or whatever strikes my fancy (walnuts are a great source of MUFAs). I don't do water in oatmeal as I prefer the heartier taste the milk gives it.

Enjoy and go to Hungry Girl for variations on this idea.

No comments: